How to Choose the Right Baseball Glove
Baseball was labeled as America’s pastime for a reason: it’s fun to watch and fun to play. From little league to men’s league, people around the country find ways to get involved with this great sport. If you or your children are gearing up for an awesome season, we want to make sure you’re as prepared as possible.
One of the things that can be overwhelming for beginners is choosing the right baseball glove. When you’re faced with an entire wall of options, it’s hard to know where to start. We’ve broken it down for you, so you can spend more time playing and less time prepping.
- Decide whether you will need an adult or youth glove. The main difference between the two types is the size of the hand opening. Don’t just go by age; some youth players may need adult gloves!
- Narrow down your choices by choosing right or left handed gloves. If you throw with your right hand, you’ll need to wear the glove on your left. If you throw with your left, you’ll need to wear it on your right.
- Pick a glove based on your position. Will you be an infielder, outfielder, first baseman, pitcher, or catcher? Each of these positions requires a unique glove or mitt.
- When in doubt, ask a knowledgeable sales associate. They will be able to help you find a glove that fits your needs and price point.
If you have selected a higher end glove, it will last longer but will also require special care. There are a few things to keep in mind to ensure that your new glove lasts season after season.
- Don’t plan on using a new glove during a game until after you’ve practiced with it for a week or two.
- Don’t let other people use your glove, because it will affect the custom fit you worked to create.
- Remember to oil your glove occasionally to prevent the leather from drying out.
Now that you have a great glove, you’ll need something to wear. Luckily for you, we can also help you find the best baseball jerseys and training gear around. The most important tip for us to share, though, is to have fun out there!