How to Start Running… And Love It!
So, you want to pick up exercising again? One way to start is by taking up running. It sounds simple enough right? Put on some shoes, step out and start going. Well, for those who need a little more inspiration on how to start running and enjoying yourself as well, these tips are for you!
- Start Small & Build Up: You’re just starting out, so treat yourself that way. Begin slowly and gradually increase your mileage and speed. Like running to a lamp post and then jogging to the next. Keep good form in mind. You can hurt yourself if you aren’t focusing on what you are doing. After a while, it’ll become more natural to you.
- Set Achievable Goals: Start setting goals for yourself. Start small and as you get better and faster, set bigger ones. Always reach for more distance, or a faster speed every time you run. You can also challenge yourself by training for something specific like a race or marathon. In order to compete in these intense runs, intensive training is highly recommended in order to be ready for it.
- Good Shoes & Clothes: Good workout clothes have a way of motivating you when you look the part. Looking good, feeling good right? Having good shoes is also important. Running in a bad pair of shoes can lead to injuries. If you are going to the gym and planning on staying for a while, pack a bag with all your essentials.
- Music: Listening to music while exercising has helped many people get focused and in the zone. Try running to music if you haven’t before. Check out Spotify for workout playlists and find some that suit you. Upbeat tracks with consistent rhythms can help you pace yourself.
- Apps: If you have a smartphone, you probably have an app store installed on it. Even if you don’t use your phone for anything other than the basic necessities, apps can be helpful. Try downloading tracking apps that will monitor your progress each day and serve as a reminder to drive on and accomplish your goals.
- Run w/ a Buddy: Running with a partner can help you as well. If they’re a beginner like you, forming a bond with that person is easier and you can keep each other motivated to run every day. If they’re a more seasoned runner than you are, ask for advice. Talk with them and get their perspective on how and why they run.
- Anywhere & Everywhere: You can run anywhere, that’s the great thing about it! You don’t need a machine or a mat. Running outside can help boost your endurance. If you prefer getting started at a gym, check your local listings for a gym that’s right for you! If you prefer to start at home, try online workouts.
- Just GO: Stop hesitating and just get out there and do it! If you’re one of those that say, “I’ll do it tomorrow,” chances are you told yourself that yesterday. Running can be enjoyable if you make it. It’s all up to you and what you hope to get out of it. Even if you’re on vacation, you can still find the time to go for a run. Stay consistent and hungry for improvement.
- Keep a Positive Attitude: Running can seem like a tiresome sport, so keep up a great attitude. Stay fixated on why you wanted to start running in the first place. Remember, there is a difference between pacing, prostrating and procrastinating. If you start to feel doubtful, remember mind over matter, and you can do it!
- Immerse Yourself: Do some of your own research on running. Read up on personal blogs who offer tips and inspiration. Check out fitness magazines as well. Like any activity, sometimes you need a little jolt to get you off the couch and in your running shoes. Knowing the benefits of running can also provide you with more reasons to run!
If you are looking to run later in the day, check out this post.
Hopefully these tips were helpful to you and if you have any tips you’d like to share, please comment below!